Ben Glas (b. 1992) is an experiential composer based in Berlin. Through ephemeral compositions Glas' work questions preconceived notions between the acts of passive hearing and active listening. In seeking to discover open ended forms of music and pragmatic listening perspectives, Glas' compositions focus on the realms of subjective perception and cognition, via the use of acoustics, psychoacoustics and space as tools for sonic composition. His work has been exhibited and performed in spaces all around the world, including the Portland Institute for Contemporary Art (PICA), Glasgow's Radiophrenia festival, the Soundwave Biennial (SF) and the Czong Institute for Contemporary Art (CICA). He is currently receiving his M.A. in Sonic Studies at the UdK.
This website serves as an archive for Glas’ work.
Ben Glas can be reached at email@example.com.
Benjamin Joseph Glas-Hochstettler
Folks Press (non-profit), Portland, OR - Audio Engineer February 2014 - January 2015
• Responsible for sound recording and editing materials for the Folks Press in conjunction with the Dada themed variety show “The Late Now”.
Mediterranean Fires, Beirut/ Athens/ Michigan (non-profit)- Video Editor/ Fundraiser. July 2015 - September 2017
• Responsible for scriptwriting, editing and processing audio and visual materials for the international activist collective Mediterranean Fires.
In Naam Der Kunst (I.N.K)- Artist/ Treasurer/ Fundraiser. July 2015 - January 2018
• Responsible for the creation of personal art within the collective, for handling and safely keeping track of inner collective funds.
PNCA, Portland, OR- A/V Technician September 2015 - January 2018
• Responsible for video and audio capture, sound board monitoring, projections and space maintenance.
Freeform Radio, Portland, OR- Radiojockey January 2016 - March 2017
• Responsible for curating and announcing pertinent musical details for “Nocturne/Aurora” and
“Soundspace” with cohost Samson Stilwell.
Right To Dream Too Ambassador (non-profit), Portland, OR- A/V Technician, event coordinator January 2017 - Present
• Responsible for helping set up and maintain sound systems for public events and meetings held by the Right To Dream Too camp and non-profit ambassador board.
Viva La Free (non-profit), Portland, OR- A/V Technician, event coordinator March 2018 - Present
• Responsible for technical assistance and set up for events hosted and presented by the non- profit Viva La Free, as directed by Layna Lewis.
Freelance Artist, Portland, OR- Independent Contractor September 2014 - Present
• Past projects include: Don’t Shoot (Videographer for the Portland Chapter), Transition Projects (Videographer), PICA Precipice Fund Grantee and RACC Cultural Grant Grantee.
Sharjah English School, Sharjah, UAE- A-Levels: September 2010 - August 2011 History, Arts and German.
Pacific Northwest College of Art- BFA :September 2012 - January 2017
Video, Sound and Media Department
“B-Format Installation” @ St. Johns Cathedral Park. Regional Arts and Culture Council funded public installation, Portland, OR, 2016
DeepWhiteSound’s “Composites Biennial” @ Buena Vista Park. Guided audio composition. San Francisco, California, 2016
"UNTITLED (°45.536693 °-122.665898 13/8/2017 22:40H)" Multichannel performance with 7 performers, as a part of PICA’s (Portland Institute for Contemporary Art) “Time Based Arts Festival”, Portland, OR, 2017
Solo Exhibition: “A Social Harmony” @ Ohrenhoch! Der Geraeuscheladen, Berlin, Germany, 2017
Group Exhibition: “Post Human: The 5th International Exhibition on New Media” @ CICA (Czong Institute for Contemporary Art)